I have an affinity for lists. I love writing things down – and especially crossing things off. One of my favorite lists is my bucket list. Each year, I scribble down new goals. Some are strong and substantial. Others, trivial. But, one item that never left my list was to run a half-marathon.
I’m not sure why I wrote it in the first place. I am not a runner. I love the idea of running, but not the practice of it. I ran my first 5K two years ago and felt like I had accomplished an Ironman. Afterwards, friends asked if I wanted to run the Austin marathon with them and I laughed. Me?! I think I’d rather get a root canal. Or ten.
And then my non-running, noncompetitive friend, Jeanette, finished the half. Mind you, she hated it. But she was so glad for the experience, saying, “It reminded me that I can do hard things.”
I was sold. I signed up and paid the fee.
It’s funny how sometimes all it takes is another person to go before you to assure you that everything will be okay. To breathe deep in the certainty that if she/he/they did __________, then I can do __________.
I started training nine months before the race. My schedule revolved around my jogs and I found myself focused like I had never been before. I would speed home from school during the weekdays and wake early on the weekends. I contended with the weather and my mood (one was almost always foul). But still, I pushed on.
Then it was February. Valentine’s weekend. My sister, Laurie, drove down I-35 to run with me. And I was so grateful to not be alone.
We started together. Side by side. Then I slowed down and urged her to go ahead. Somewhere around mile three, my body got into a rhythm. My breathing syncopated to my feet-pounding and heart-beating. My mind floated between thoughts and awareness.
By mile ten, my muscles started to weaken and I was moved my sheer will power. And then, I crossed the finish line. I wandered down the tunnel, legs numb, eyes wet. I couldn’t believe I did it! I still can’t believe that I did it.
Jeanette was right. We can do hard things.


No comments:
Post a Comment