2015

2015

12/29/2012

Chapter 16: There and Back Again

I’ve heard before that disappointment comes from unmet expectations. I agree completely. When Chris’s higher-paying job in Georgetown wasn’t what he expected, he decided to go back to Whole Foods. This decision dominoed into our budget and we were forced to give up the Georgetown house and move back to our Austin condo. Disappointment came knocking. All of the work it took moving, remodeling, and settling in was now utterly futile. We never expected to take a step back. I had imagined a different type of future. And yet, life is full of the Unexpected.

We teach our kids to Dream big!, Follow your heart!, and Reach for the stars! (pardon my cliche reflux). But, I think we should also teach them how to handle heartache and overcome obstacles and work through regrets. We tend to advertise our accomplishments (thanks be to you, oh mighty Facebook), yet much more of life is lived in the trenches. And it’s there that character is built.

Having the chance to “Go Back to Start, Do Not Pass Go” has been hard. But at least the game is not over. And this time, we have a better strategy.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, dearest beautiful Erin, I agree regarding the trenches! My heart has been with y'all in all! Praise God y'all have chosen to allow these challenges to weave a cloth of ever stronger threads; increasing the results being chords of great beauty and strength that cannot be broken rather than an irreparable ripping apart. This choice has been the cry of my heart in unceasing prayer.

    Your blessings as you acknowledge are also many - precious babies, family and love. May you continue to hold ever so tightly to these treasures and never loose the ability to hope!

    I love and cherish you Erin, Christopher, Eloise and Duke more than I have words to express and give thanksgiving to my Lord for blessing my life with each of you. Cindy/Mom/Gran MaMa

    ReplyDelete