2015

2015

12/30/2011

Chapter 11: Home Is






If you want to know who people want to be, look at their Facebook. If you want to know how people really are, stay in their home. It’s amazing how much of our identities are revealed in the habits we have and the houses we keep.

When both of my sisters moved to new towns last year, I knew that summer would be my best chance to visit. And with Chris unable to get off work, I asked my sister-in-law Brittany to roadtrip it with me. She graciously agreed.

We started at Nana and Papa’s house in Bucyrus, with their melting pot style – a mixture of treasures from foreign lands and a Midwest country charm. Then, we went to Uncle Eric and Aunt Amy’s house in Pratt, with their creative/tech style of art meets kids for a chaotic cozy feel. We ended at Uncle Jeremy and Aunt Laurie’s house in Elk City – a suburban style of modern Middle America with room to grow. Each home was as unique as the lives that filled it.

Traveling back to Austin, I felt a sense of closure – like I had finally made the connection to my sisters’ daily lives. It reminded me of a song called “If These Walls Could Speak” and it made me wonder what the walls of my home would say about me.

No comments:

Post a Comment