2015

2015

12/30/2011

Chapter 12: Sick No More




I used to get annoyed at how many prayer requests focused on people’s health. I would silently grumble about there being more to life that a distant relative’s hospital visit. But, when you’re faced with your own wellness threat, you realize that there is no more to life when you’re consumed with sickness. Things don’t go on as normal – you miss family reunions and preschool parties, playdates and work. All your attention is focused on getting better.

So when our pediatrician announced Eloise’s diagnosis, it was frightening. Pneumonia?! A bad cough and a little fever led to this? Chris and I would take turns in a panic, before harnessing the other back to an objective calm. We were instructed to keep an eye on her breathing at night and rush to the ER if it worsened. I prayed myself to sleep believing it would be fine by the morning. But Chris set his alarm every two hours to make sure she was okay.

I have never loved him more. Passing through the hallway, he said, “I would gladly give my life in exchange for hers.” And at the moment I knew he would. Without hesitation.

For Thanksgiving a few days later, we made a sign of things we were thankful for. I asked Eloise what she wanted me to write and she said, “Going to the doctor and getting better.” Indeed. It was a huge prayer request answered.

2 comments:

  1. I loved reading your blog updates and seeing all the pictures. We really miss all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. erin, i just love reading what you write. i sure love your sweet family and my friendship with you makes my list of things to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete